Throughout the turn of the 20th century and into the pre-war period, Francis continued with musical engagements far and wide, but with an increased emphasis on rosin manufacture, with assistance from his younger brother, James. The Hidersine Company relocated to Hart’s Lane, Barking where Crow’s Tar Distillery allowed Francis to turn one of their buildings into a specialised rosin manufacturing base. It was whilst in this location during 1912 that two more famous products were created and brought to market, namely: Hidrol (Trademark pictured left) – a preservative for strings; and Hidersol, (Trademark pictured right) a unique preparation for cleaning and reviving the varnish of stringed instruments.
Now, as was to be expected, the previously ubiquitous German-made rosins were becoming somewhat less popular, and this unfortunate reality created an ever greater demand for Hidersine rosins.
This increasing demand caused Francis Hider to relinquish his position with The Royal Opera Orchestra – with whom he played since 1905 – and even after the New Queen’s Hall Orchestra was re-formed post-war, he never returned, instead opting to dedicate his time to the ever-expanding Hidersine Company.
In 1920 the Hidersine Company moved again to accommodate business expansion, this time to Highbridge Road, Town Quay, Barking, where the company became a riverside neighbour to the famous sugar producer, Tate & Lyle. It was during this time that Francis met his future wife, Winifred.
Winifred first saw Francis when she was in her teens and he was playing in the Queen’s Hall where she and her siblings often attended. They referred to the now famed double bassist as “The man who made our resin”. Coming from a musical family in which her father played Violin and Viola in chamber orchestras, Winifred and her brothers had musical tuition from a young age, with Winifred choosing Cello as her favoured instrument.
During the First World War, while her brothers were serving in the army, Winifred taught herself as much cello as she could, and then in 1919 after the war had ended, she studied at the Metropolitan Academy of Music under Charles Hambourg, nephew of the celebrated Mark Hambourg, with her being made a junior professor in 1922.
Winifred enjoyed very regular musical employment with many orchestras also employing Mr Hider, who by this time was 60 years old. She had become fond of Francis over the course of their many meetings and musical endeavours, and one day on her way to see her tutor Mr Hambourg, she unexpectedly met Francis who presented her with a block of rosin that he said “he had made especially for her”. From this time on the couple were drawn closer together, with their eventual marriage taking place on November 24th 1926 in St Mark’s Church, Forest Gate, Francis aged 63 and Winifred aged 28.